Kingsmen Shakespeare Company
Camps Teach Shakespearean, Musical Acting
The Kingsmen Shakespeare Company, the professional theater company of California Lutheran University, Thousand Oaks, is offering a summer-long series of workshops for children ages 8 to 16 in the CLU Theatre Arts Building. Each participant will be cast in a role for a final presentation at the end of the workshop.
The company is offering six workshops:
- Beginning Shakespeare, for ages 8–12, is a beginning acting course and its application to Shakespeare. The session culminates in a presentation of scenes. The first session is already under way, but the program will be repeated July 9–20, 8 a.m. to noon.
- Acting Techniques, for ages 12–16, which began June 18 and runs to June 29, studies acting techniques, including voice and movement, approaching a script, improv, and stage combat. The session culminates in a presentation of scene work.
- Advanced Shakespeare I, for ages 8–16, July 9–20, 1 to 5 p.m., is an advanced acting course after completion of the Beginning Shakespeare session, studying Shakespeare scenes, stage combat, and acting techniques. The session culminates in a presentation of scenes.
- Advanced Shakespeare II, for ages 8–16, July 23 to August 3, 1 to 5 p.m., is an advanced acting course after completion of Advanced Shakespeare I session, studying Shakespeare scenes, stage combat, and period dance. The session culminates in a presentation of scenes.
- Musical Theatre Workshop, for ages 12–16, July 23 to August 3, 8 a.m.–noon, studies acting, voice, and dance as it applies to musical theatre. The class will perform selections from a well-known musical.
The professional staff consists of teachers, actors, and members of the Kingsmen Shakespeare Company. Camp Director Michael McCambridge has years of experience working in the elementary and secondary educational system, is on the faculty of CLU's School of Education, and has an extensive background in theater. CLU dance and movement instructor, Barbara Wegher-Thompson, has extensive experience working with children and will teach the Musical Theatre Camp.
The fee for each two-week workshop is $285, but discounts are available for multiple sessions: Sign-ups for two sessions receive a reduced rate of $525, a $45 savings, and sign-ups for all three sessions receive a reduced rate of $750, a $105 savings.
Register online at http://www.kingsmenshakespeare.org/camp/, or call Judy at 805-493-3014.
June 21, 2012
If you have Shakespearean news to share, e-mail email@example.com